Thursday, July 14, 2011

TERM: Half-Cover

This is a design feature that usually includes leather on the spine and corners but can also refer to a design that has one type of material for the spine and corners and another for the bulk of the cover.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011


When building a journal - there are a lot of words that are used to describe how the journal is constructed and what it's for. Here are some of the terms used to describe the journals and books that I make:

Book Sizes

Size 1: A book that is 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches in size
Size 2: A book that is 5 by 7 inches in size
Size 3: A book that is 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches in size
Size 4: A book that is 7 by 9 1/2 inches in size
Size 5: A book that is 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size.

Brick: A book made from a quarter-sized piece of paper, roughly five and a half inches by four and a quarter inches by one inch thick. Usually holds 200 pages.

Bookplate:also known as ex-librīs [latin, "from the books of..."], is usually a small print or decorative label pasted into a book, often on the inside front cover, to indicate its owner. Simple typographical bookplates are termed 'booklabels.

Closure: Any means by which the book is held closed. Commonly this is done with some kind of tie (ribbon, leather or string) or buckle.

Colophone: A symbol or design that is unique to the owner of the journal.

Cover: The covering (leather, wood or paper) that protects the book-blank (pages) from damage.

Double Fold: A Double-Fold Journal is a combination of two books within the same cover.

Half-Cover: A style of book that is a combination of two cover materials; often leather (for the spine) and paper.

Peg-and-Loop: A method of holding a book closed. Often used with a pencil or pen to secure a flap.

Recessed Design: A design element whereby the image is cut into the cover.

Spine: The edge of the book where it is held - marked, etc.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

TERM: Bookplate

Bookplate v 1.0
The bookplate is something that I've been wanting to create for a while; something that I could use to mark my books. I wanted something that I could easily print out from my home office and use on everything from paperbacks and such. The image of the Hermit from the Rider-Waite that I've altered for my blog and such seemed a logical choice. It's a nice color of green too for the background.

See also:


PROP: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Journal

Ok, so I have been reading up on the Jules Verne style of the old Steam-Pulp stories. When I got a copy of the movie I saw that there was something unique in the props for the character of the Professor; his journal.

Immediately I sprang to work on tearing apart how it's made. Like an arrow from a bow, I snagged some screen shots and thanks to some Photoshop work I think they're clear enough I can tear apart the design.

The first thing that I saw was that it has a snap closure on a flap that folds over the journal's cover; not an uncommon feature since you want to protect the pages and such.

The left cover, apparently wooden, is longer than the pages by almost six to seven inches. This extra width in the board to cover not only the pages but also the small 'box' that's attached to the rear board.

This 'box' is designed to hold ink wells and dip pens - the most common writing medium of the film's period. I have a better picture of what the box looks like below but for now let's concentrate on how the designer has incorporated it into the cover.

Two hinged flaps extend from the head and the foot of the rear cover that can fold over the box presumably to protect it from wear and tear.

The two flaps, somewhat shown here in a capture that I tried to blow up large enough to see, just fold over the 'box' or 'tray' of writing materials and the actual closure flap would close off the third side with the paper covering the fourth.

The character of the professor is shown opening the head and foot flaps so that he can access the ink wells and dip pens in the open box / tray inside.

The pages of the journal almost look like they're stab-bound. A stab-bound journal would seem to make sense since you're basically writing things in it that will be pulled out and later organized into whatever research you're working on. I would almost say that this design of journal is more like a captain's log.

This is the good shot of what the inside of the journal looks like. The writing tray has the two ink wells and a few dip pens for writing. You can clearly see the tab that extends out of the head of the rear cover as well as the closure flap that would close over the front board.

I like that in this case, they covered the tabs with some marbled paper and the tray is apparently felted.