Wednesday, July 13, 2011


When building a journal - there are a lot of words that are used to describe how the journal is constructed and what it's for. Here are some of the terms used to describe the journals and books that I make:

Book Sizes

Size 1: A book that is 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches in size
Size 2: A book that is 5 by 7 inches in size
Size 3: A book that is 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches in size
Size 4: A book that is 7 by 9 1/2 inches in size
Size 5: A book that is 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size.

Brick: A book made from a quarter-sized piece of paper, roughly five and a half inches by four and a quarter inches by one inch thick. Usually holds 200 pages.

Bookplate:also known as ex-librīs [latin, "from the books of..."], is usually a small print or decorative label pasted into a book, often on the inside front cover, to indicate its owner. Simple typographical bookplates are termed 'booklabels.

Closure: Any means by which the book is held closed. Commonly this is done with some kind of tie (ribbon, leather or string) or buckle.

Colophone: A symbol or design that is unique to the owner of the journal.

Cover: The covering (leather, wood or paper) that protects the book-blank (pages) from damage.

Double Fold: A Double-Fold Journal is a combination of two books within the same cover.

Half-Cover: A style of book that is a combination of two cover materials; often leather (for the spine) and paper.

Peg-and-Loop: A method of holding a book closed. Often used with a pencil or pen to secure a flap.

Recessed Design: A design element whereby the image is cut into the cover.

Spine: The edge of the book where it is held - marked, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment