Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Design: Pentagonal Book


The pentagonal book was an idea that I've had since I did the Triangular Book a few years ago. It took me a while to figure out how to construct the book-blank out of a standard-sized piece of paper. Eventually I ended up cutting it out of a size-5 book so it's somewhere around a size-4 when it's cut down to shape.

Then the problem came up that I have to put a cover on it. Naturally a pentagonal book would need a pentagonal cover. Well, this seems like a very pagan-focused book so I thought about putting a pentagram (since a pentacle has a circle around it) of... something.

I'm not sure if it's metal bars or sticks or what. I'm also not sure of the cover material: either natural leather or black.

Then I have to figure out how the book is closed if at all.

So...Details:

I need to find what the five main points would be. Perhaps gem stones of some kind.
Then I need to find out the five inner points. These could be upholstery tacks like from Tandy Leather.
Then I need something to connect the points together. Plate Aluminum? Something silvery-ish.

Still working on the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment